Home renovation may be undertaken to repair, remove or refurbish part of the house or add new gadgets, fittings or even a whole kitchen, a bathroom, deck or study. Kitchen additions help to increase the investment value of homes and also to the convenience factor of the residents. Kitchens are among the most used area in the home especially for families, and are also used for working and other family activities, which continue while food is being prepared. Adding a new kitchen can be fun, and the prospect of having a swanky new kitchen with all the exquisite gadgets and devices available, a very appealing idea, since it will add to the joy of cooking. This could even be an outdoor kitchen, or an additional one on a higher floor in a multi-storey house, while the main kitchen continues on ground level.
Adding kitchens may involve ripping apart the old one and making a new one from scratch, or alternatively, leaving the old one intact, and making a new kitchen on another floor or in another part of the house. For both options the new kitchen has to be sustainable with appropriate use of space providing for convenience of movement and while working in it.
Tips to remember when adding a kitchen
- Start with a kitchen plan, complete with a list of appliances needed, and which accessories from the old kitchen can be used in the new design and plan.
- Keep a clear and definite budgetary limit and decide on brands and finishes accordingly. For people having budgetary constraints, cheaper brands of appliances, less expensive tiles and fittings and cabinets will have to suffice.
- Open layout kitchen designs prove cheaper. They also add to the semblance of space in the house.
- Convenience, ease of movement and open space are important-it also means putting fewer things into a kitchen and hence saving on costs.
- The kitchen triangle must be in place, namely, the refrigerator, sink and cooking range must be placed in a triangular layout.
- Add counter space in the form of an island in the center if space permits-it also serves for additional storage below.
- Cut costs by keeping more open shelves and fewer closed cabinets
- Kitchens can be added in any part of the house. All that is needed is a water connection.
- Keep more windows to save on lighting during the day time at least.
- Cutting on size of appliances also helps to cut expenses.
- Do not discard all the old kitchen fittings and fixtures, since they can be cleverly used without detracting from the beauty of the new kitchen.
- While selecting a contractor for the kitchen renovation, multiple quotations help to select the most reasonable one.
- Trends and the latest designs come for a hefty price, and can be avoided. Functionality is more important than style in a kitchen.
- Coordinated colors look beautiful, but when they enhance costs, contrasting colors can be used and look equally appealing.
Spending on a kitchen while renovating, whether it includes refurbishing the old or adding a brand new kitchen, is an exercise that helps to add value to the home, which will yield larger returns on investment.