Renovations – Build it Right

From the first of March 2012 all critical building work – known as Restricted Building Work, must be done by a Licensed Building Practitioner (LBP). So if part of your Property Investment NZ business includes renovating or building, then at, we believe you need to be aware of changes for this work.

This applies to most residential building or renovation work and only a Licensed Building Practitioner can undertake or supervise the Restricted Building Work.

So, who is a Licensed Building Practitioner? They include:

  • Designers
  • Carpenters
  • Roofing contractors
  • External Plasterers
  • Brick and Blocklayers
  • Foundations specialists

Registered Architects or Chartered Professional Engineer, Plumbers and Gasfitters are treated as Licensed Building Practitioners and can carry out some Restricted Building Work.

A lot of work that requires a Building Consent is Restricted Building Work – but not all.

If you undertake structural work or work that affects the weather-tightness of a building, and the building is residential, then that work may be classified as Restricted Building Work. Restricted Building Work can only be done by or supervised by a Licensed Building Practitioner.

Most building plans that need building consent from your local Council, will include Restricted Building Work. Some work, such as pool fencing and kitchen installations, that need a building permit are not Restricted Building work. A general rule of thumb is – if the work doesn’t involve changes to the home’s primary structure or weather-tightness, it is not Restricted Building Work.

How do you find an LBP

Build it Right have an online public register of LBPs and this will enable you to find a suitable LBP for your building work, or determine if a person you are dealing with is licensed. This register will also tell you if an LBP has been disciplined within the last 3 years.

Registered Architects Link to the Registered Architects website, and are already “deemed” to have a Design licence, and do not need to apply to be an LBP because of their existing registration. Similarly, Chartered Professional Engineers Link to the Chartered Professional Engineers website.

For further reading on Property Investment NZ, click on the articles below:

Setting Goals for Financial Independence – click here

Tips for Becoming a Property Expert – click here

Buying Rules for Property Investment – click here

5 Tips to Add Value through Renovation – click here

Tags: , , , , , , ,

About Property Tutors

“PropertyTutors Limited believes the information in this publication is correct, and it has reasonable grounds for any opinion or recommendation found within this publication on the date of this publication. However, no liability is accepted for any loss or damage incurred by any person as a result of any error in any information, opinion or recommendation in this publication. Nothing in this publication is, or should be taken as, an offer, invitation or recommendation to buy, sell or retain any investment in or make any deposit with any person. The information contained in this publication is general in nature. It may not be relevant to individual circumstances. Before making any investment, insurance or other financial decisions, you should consult a professional financial adviser. This publication is for the use of persons in New Zealand only. Copyright in this publication is owned by PropertyTutors Limited. You must not reproduce or distribute content from this publication or any part of it without prior permission.”